Atherectomy products, chronic total occlusion devices, balloon catheters, and embolic protection devices accounted for $836 million in U.S. sales during 2013. As discussed in Life Science Intelligence's new report, strong growth is expected in the U.S. market in coming years due to clinical efforts to improve the effectiveness of interventional methods for treating peripheral artery disease (PAD); attempts to refine techniques; and the impact of new products such as drug-coated balloons (DCBs), the first of which became commercially available in October 2014. This report examines the forces affecting the U.S. market for these technologies from 2012-2019 and covers key issues, such as:
• Quantitative factors including units, pricing, and product sales;
• The timing and market introduction of important new technologies;
• Procedure volumes as well as other key infrastructure and market metrics; and
• The competitive landscape.
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY 1.1 The U.S. Market by Product Type 1.2 Competitive Analysis Exhibit 1-1: Specialty Peripheral Vascular Procedures in the U.S. from 2012-2019 Exhibit 1-2: The U.S. Market Forecast for Atherectomy Products, Balloon Catheters, Chronic Total Occlusion Devices, and Embolic Protection Devices from 2012-2019 Exhibit 1-3: U.S. Supplier Shares in 2012 and 2013 2. OVERVIEW 2.1 The Circulatory System 2.2 Vascular Anatomy and Physiology 2.2.1 Peripheral Arteries 2.2.2 Coronary Arteries 2.2.3 Arteries of the Head and Neck 2.3 Vessel Tissues and Structures 2.4 Peripheral Vascular Disease 2.5 Prevalence of PAD by Region 2.5.1 The United States 2.5.2 Europe 2.5.3 Asia-Pacific and the Rest of the World Exhibit 2-1: Overview of the Circulatory System Exhibit 2-2: Major Arteries in the Cardiovascular System Exhibit 2-3: Types and Functions of the Blood Vessels Exhibit 2-4: Peripheral Arteries and Arteries of the Lower Extremity Exhibit 2-5: Arteries of the Hand, Including the Radial Artery Exhibit 2-6: Arteries of the Head and Neck Exhibit 2-7: Anatomy of the Arteries and Veins Exhibit 2-8: Prevalence of Peripheral Artery Disease in the U.S. Exhibit 2-9: Prevalence of Peripheral Artery Disease in Europe Exhibit 2-10: Prevalence of Peripheral Artery Disease in AP & ROW Countries 3. SPECIALTY PERIPHERAL VASCULAR PRODUCTS 3.1 Atherectomy Technologies 3.2 Balloon Catheters 3.3 Chronic Total Occlusion Devices 3.4 Embolic Protection Systems Exhibit 3-1: Specialty Peripheral Vascular Products by Type Exhibit 3-2: Selected Recent Studies of Atherectomy for Peripheral Artery Disease Exhibit 3-3: Atherectomy Devices: Selected Products and Suppliers in 2014 Exhibit 3-4: Selected Recent Studies of Balloon Angioplasty for Peripheral Artery Disease Exhibit 3-5: Balloon Catheters: Selected Products and Suppliers in 2014 Exhibit 3-6: Selected Recent Studies of Devices Used for Peripheral Artery Chronic Total Occlusion Exhibit 3-7: Devices for Chronic Total Occlusion: Selected Products and Suppliers in 2014 Exhibit 3-8: Selected Recent Studies of Devices Used for Embolic Protection during Peripheral Artery Procedures Exhibit 3-9: Embolic Protection Devices: Selected Products and Suppliers in 2014 4. PROCEDURE FORECASTS & MARKET ANALYSIS FOR SPECIALTY PERIPHERAL VASCULAR PRODUCTS IN THE U.S. 4.1 Atherectomy Products 4.2 Balloon Catheters 4.3 Chronic Total Occlusion Devices 4.4 Embolic Protection Devices 4.5 Competitive Analysis Exhibit 4-1: The U.S. Market Forecast for Specialty Peripheral Vascular Products by Type, 2012-2019 Exhibit 4-2: The U.S. Market Forecast for Atherectomy Products from 2012-2019 Exhibit 4-3: The U.S. Market Forecast for Atherectomy Devices by Type in 2012, 2013, and 2014 Exhibit 4-4: The U.S. Market Forecast for Balloon Catheters from 2012-2019 Exhibit 4-5: The U.S. Market Forecast for Balloon Catheters by Type from 2012-2019 Exhibit 4-6: The U.S. Market Forecast for Chronic Total Occlusion Devices from 2012-2019 Exhibit 4-7: The U.S. Market Forecast for Embolic Protection Devices from 2012-2019 Exhibit 4-8: The U.S. Market Forecast for Embolic Protection Devices by Type from 2012-2019 Exhibit 4-9: U.S. Supplier Shares in 2012 and 2013 5. COMPANY PROFILES 5.1 Abbott Vascular (Abbott) 5.2 Bard Peripheral Vascular (C.R. Bard) 5.3 Boston Scientific 5.4 Cook Medical (Cook Group) 5.5 Cordis Corporation (Johnson & Johnson) 5.6 Covidien 5.7 Medtronic 5.8 W.L. Gore and Associates